Introduction of Wonju Dynamic Wonju, Healthy Wonju, Happy Wonju
Wonju is a city with clear valley and blue mountains,
brilliant cultural heritage, splendid festivals, and people in harmony.
Meet the legend of boeun(repaid kindness) in Chiak mountain with its rich nature. Magnificent view and marvelous stories are waiting for you. Wonju, the city of impression and story make your own story in Wonju.
Nature & Culture
- more Chiaksan From the East mountain range, the Baekdudaegan, Chiaksan National park branches toward Southwestern direction is located in Wonju-si, Huengseong-gun and Youngwol-gun centering around the highest peak, birobong peak(1,288m).
- more Gamaksan Gamaksan(945m) is located at the border of Bongyang-eup Jecheon-si Chungbuk and Sillim-myeon Wonju-si Gangwon-do. It is generally known as Gamaksan, but National Geography Institute map named it Gamakbong.
- more Geumdae valley Geumdae-ri, Panbu-myeon, Wonju-si is located at the Southeastern Wonju. The commercial area is formed centering around the beautiful valley of Geumdaecheon stream between Chiaksan and Baekunsan, and it is the closest natural resting area in Wonju, which makes it the most popular place for residents.
- more Yongsugol valley It is located at Baekunsan range 10kms South from Wonju. It takes 15 minutes in bus from Wonju. The exact address of valley is Seogok-ri, Panbu-myeon, Wonju-si.
- more Historic cultural trail You can visit Wonju's representative historic sites such as Geodonsa temple site, Beobcheonsa temple site, Heungbeobsa temple site and other temple sites of thousand yeard old temples along the historic cultural trail in nature, and also the Heungwon storage which was used to send grains to Seoul.
- more Hanji Theme park Wonju Hanji Theme park is a multi-cultural space where visitors can feel. enjoy and experience the history of Hanji, Korean traditional paper and Korean printing technology, Hanji is hand-made paper using paper mulberry, which is traditional paper of Korea.
- more stupa of National Preceptor Jigwangguksa of Beopcheonsa, Wonju( no. 59) 11th century(1085, 2nd year of Goryeo king Seonjong), Stele pagoda recording the past of Goryeo Jigwangguksa
- more Wongong Guksatab pagoda at Geodonsa temple site(Treasure no.78) It is stele standing at Geodonsa temple site which records the past of Goryeo monk Wongongguksa.
- more Wonju Gangwon Gamyoung(Historic site no.439) Gangwon Gamyoung is the center of local administration of Gangwon-do which controlled 26 bu, mok, gun, hyeon of Gangwon-do. It was installed in 4th year of Joseon King Taejo(1395) and conducted administrative task of Gangwon-do for 500 hears until the Gamyoung was abolished in accordance with abolition of 8 do and implementation of 23 bu in 32nd year of King Gojong(1895).
- more Wonsong Seongnam-ri Seonghwangrim(Tutelary Forest)Natural monument no. 93) Seonghwangrim is a tutelary forest which protects the village. Wonsong Seongnam-ri Seonghwangrim is located apart from the village.